On this week’s Go Creative Show podcast, cinematographer Phedon Papamichael ASC talks about filming Ford v Ferrari. Phedon and host Ben Concoli discuss how the race scenes were shot, the benefits of filming on the fly vs using storyboards, the challenges of shooting in a functioning airport.
You can listen to the full episode above.
- Filming race scenes practically (05:28)
- Quickly filming on the fly vs using storyboards (12:16)
- Using 4 cameras at once to film inside the race cars (22:39)
- How they made the cars look like they’re driving fast (31:55)
- Filming the rain scenes (38:33)
- Lighting the film (41:30)
- Filming at a functioning airport
- Phedon’s relationship with camera operators (52:53)
- How Grand Prix was a source of inspiration (56:46)
- Will the Cinerama make a comeback? (58:07)
- Where Phedon wants to see the film industry to go (01:01:00)
Phedon Papamichael ASC has filmed such movies as Walk the Line, Nebraska, The Descendants, and Downsizing.